Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vintage Thursday











Hello everyone! Its that time of week again for Vintage Thursday that to Confessions of an Apron Queen.










First up is a dresser that I got at a garage sale for only $30! What a find! I think I will someday replace the white knobs with some glass ones, how pretty that would be!












This is really not vintage I guess but I just wanted to share it. It is a Cathederal Window quilt that my mom made for me. I was 19 when I recieved it, she was sick with cancer and and barely had enough to finish it before she got really bad off. I have it hanging on a decorative curtain rod above my bed. It is all hand sewn. I love it!


There are bits of fabric from my clothes from when I was a little girl in it, as well as fabric from my mommy's.
Whenever I look at it, it tells me how much she loved me, with every stitch!



16 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful quilt to begin with, and the fact that your mom made it when she was so sick makes it even more precious! I consider anything I had before I was 20 to be vintage, and I'm only 40! If my nifty "Madonna" clothes from the 80s are vintage then so are a lot of other things you couldn't imagine!

Threeundertwo said...

That quilt is an absolute treasure! It takes about a million hours to make as Cathedral window quilt, as I'm sure you know. How wonderful that it has some of your old clothes in it!

If there's ever a fire, grab that quilt as you run out the door!

The Apron Queen said...

This quilt is gorgeous. What a wonderful gift she gave you. How thoughtful. The time & love that must have gone into creating it. Thanks so much for sharing.

Amy said...

Those are great finds!

Sonja said...

Quilt is beautiful, nice memories about your mom. Thanks for sharing.

Jewelgirl said...

Lovely quilt your mom made, a
treasure that's close to your
heart. beautiful!

Karen Dittman said...

You are the random winner of my 3 Favorite Things Contest. Congratulations! Drop me an email at 3rsandahug@gmail.com with your address so I can get the SB gift card out to you.

I'm about in tears over the story of your quilt. That is a precious treasure.

Lostcheerio said...

I like your new layout. Bit hard to negotiate the juxtaposition of such a pretty header with your rather provocative blog title. Hehehe.

Sassy said...

hi mom i love you and your blog! love the calender!

Lelani said...

That really is beautiful! I have a quilt from my mother, who also died from cancer. She picked all the materials and designed it, but couldn't start it before she got too sick, so her friends got together and made it for her. She was able to give both my brother and me one. So though she didn't actually do the sewing, it feels like she did...and how wonderful of her friends to finish it for her!
I also like you new blog design. I need to come up with something new and jazzy for mine!

Jennifer said...

lelani,
This lady has some gorgeous free templates on her site.. its where I got mine.

http://www.simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com/

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shushan said...

what an lovely quilt! I agree its a classic already. You must feel her love every time you look at it.

Susan in Va

Julie Schuler said...

That's a gorgeous quilt! And how great to have so many memories all sewn into one quilt.

Ginger said...

What a wonderful treasure for your mother to give to you!

Sassy said...

pretty pretty pretty i love the quilt mama